Friday, June 19, 2015

Oh comfort, where are you?

Comfort. We've all needed it. From the time you first scrapped your knee on the driveway, to your first heart break in middle school over that boy that you just KNEW you would marry, to the disappointment of losing a job that you worked so hard at to obtain. 

We all look for that source to bring us relief from all sorts of pain. Many have found temporary repose in short-lived things such as food, sex, busyness, perhaps even anger. But I have found that comfort can not be found when you seek for it. I can't just google comfort and find something or someone that will give an endless supply of it. 


Comfort is found when we seek after truth. 

"My soul melteth for heaviness: strengthen though me according unto thy word. Remove from me the way of lying: and grant me thy law graciously. I have chosen the way of truth: thy judgments have I laid before me." ~ Psalm 119:28:30

 When I read what the Psalmist wrote about his own heavy heart, I see that he was just like me. Weak. Easily persuaded by the lies in his own head. Seeking help, but needing it to be tender. 

So many times I have allowed lies to become my truth. They poison my very being and take over in the form of confusion, anger, despair, and so much more. But truth does not bring these things. Jesus is the Truth. Truth is not a thing but a person. And that very person lives within me. So when I am in need of comfort, I can go to the One called the Great Comforter and receive truth. 



Repeatedly begging God for wisdom (truth) will keep us from the opposite of comfort. So I will bury myself even deeper into His word. 

As a good friend of mine said, now is the time to gorge yourself on the Word. All you can eat is not a bad thing when it comes to the meal of the soul. 


No comments:

Post a Comment