Tuesday, June 9, 2015

New Beginnings



I used get so excited about the first day of school. New outfit. Fresh box of crayons. Sharp pencils. And the possibility of starting over fresh. All mistakes felt in the past. I could create a new me. 

I now find myself in a similar place. A new beginning. However, the feeling is anything  but excitement. Other words come to mind. Lost. Horrified. Sad. Confused. 

For the last year, I have been living this obscure reality that really only we could understand. Since the word "terminal" hit my ear drum, all that I knew vanished and this new creation of life came into existence. 

It started with the bombshell hitting us. But once time went by, our new life was consumed with a "normal" that was anything but. Doctor appointments, trials, pills, temper tantrums, vomiting, and so much more. This was the new routine and in a way we cruised through it. 

Then came hospice. 

This was perhaps the longest part of the journey. The care, exhaustion, and changes were so big and yet so slow, we began to wear out. But this was still our life. Still our normal. 

Then we said 'Good bye'. 

Like a raging hurricane, we were swept away into immense grief, intertwined with family, friends, planning, and decisions. 

It's been two weeks since then and I find myself sitting in the middle of the house not knowing what to do with myself. Everything I knew has suddenly vanished and I am left with nothing and everything all at once. 

No Molly to care for. No hospital bed to look at. No routine of pills to give. No nurses to visit. 

But pieces of devastation are scattered all over this house. In the pictures on the wall, in the laundry still in her laundry basket and in the tears on Clara's cheeks. 

It's so unnatural, this thing we call loss. It's so enfeebling, the emotion of it all. 

They say that time will heal. I can't say I know that is fully true. A part of my heart is forever gone from this world. And I don't wish it to be fully healed, because that means I have forgotten. But I also know there must be a balance between hurt and healed. 

Day by day and with each passing moment, grace we'll find, to meet our trials here. 

God help us to do so...

7 comments:

  1. O Julie! I continue to pray for you guys. Sometimes it seems weird that I never met her, but her heart weeps. You stay strong and encouraged. Her beauty will live on forever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honey whoever tells you time will heal may have never known a life altering loss of someone close to the - a parent, a spouse and the worst loss - a child. It will be 9 years since my loss, but not a day or really a few hours go by without memories. What I have realized though, is the horror of cancer memory fades and most of the beautiful things remain. You will be sitting on a swing on a summer evening and feel the wind through your hair. Your soul will feel the breath of your precious angel Molly. Those will be the wonderful memories that sustain us until we are reunited

    ReplyDelete
  3. We continue to pray and weep for you many times daily. thank you for sharing your heart.
    I agree-- not sure how time could heal something so tragic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julie,

    I am praying for you...I am not sure that time heals for there are moments that will overwhelm you with emotions that will remind you of days gone by, even years later. But I truly believe the healing IS in not forgetting. Making new memories that bring out the memories of a precious life.

    When our 9th baby died I had what I had not had in many years, time. Time because I was not up all hours feeding my newborn. Time because I was not chasing a toddler. It still hurts to think our baby is gone but the healing comes by seeing what God has allowed me to do with that time. I truly believe God is allowing me to encourage the next Darlene Deibler Rose or Amy Charmichael or pershaps one of the young ladies God is blessing me to disciple will be the wife of an American evangelist that God uses to bring revival to our land.

    No Molly will not be forgotten, especially in you, as long as you allow God to show you how that because of Molly God is glorified in you, in others.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We miss Molly too! The pain is never healed and for sure a part of Mom's heart is lost forever.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete