Monday, May 11, 2015

Perception vs. Precision

Peek-a-boo.

One of my favorite games to play with little babies. It's so simple, yet keeps them (yes, and myself) entertained for hours. 

Hide behind the couch. Pop up! Where'd she go? There she is! 



When I was in college, and in a child Psychology class, we discussed this very game. You see, babies, about 6 months, are not able to process that once Mama ducks down behind the couch, she will return. They just think, "She's gone!" So when she returns, and they have that big surprised look on their face, that is exactly what they are: Surprised

The difference between babies and adults is that we are able to rationalize and think through the "Peek-a-boo dilemma". We know, of course, where Mom is and when she will return. 

Isn't it funny though, that these rationalities do not carry into our every day life when it comes to God. We know He's there, but we simply don't see Him. So panic sets in and we begin to worry. 

Exodus 32 tells the story of dear old Moses, heading up Mt. Sinai to receive the law from the Lord. You can not rush these things, so even though Moses told them to wait for his return, they got antsy and worried when he didn't come back right away. 

The people used what they SAW instead of trusted the truth.

Maybe you're the same today. I know I've been. Take my day, for example. 

Being a mom, and being a Thursday (I ALWAYS crash on a Thursday), all I saw around me was weakness, illness, chaos, no way to get it all done.  I was drowning. 

But God has a wonderful way of speaking to us: The Holy Spirit. And I heard him knocking on my heart and say:

"Julie, stop using your eyes. Use the truth. What do you KNOW?"

So I began to list things. 

I know II Corinthians 12:10. "...for when I am weak, then am I strong."

I know Psalm 30:2. " O LORD my God, I cried unto thee, and though hast healed me. 

I know Isaiah 26:3:" Though wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee."

I know Isaiah 40:29: "He giveth power to the faint; and to them that have no might he increaseth strength. 

Before I take matters into my own hands (which would look like me yelling at my kids, crying in the bathroom, forgetting about joy), I just need to focus on WHO God is, where He is working, and what exactly I know to be true. 

I'm glad that I don't have to be like a six month old, spiritually, and I can use more than my eyes to know what is going on. 

1 comment: