Thursday, April 9, 2015

When enough is enough

I can't tell you how many times Mothering has brought me to my limits. There have been days when Peter has walked in the door, only for me to walk right out so I can catch my breath. Parenting is NOT for the faint of heart. So much blood, sweat, and tears are required. 

But what do you do when there's no more to give?

Your body has been drained of every single ounce of energy. Your emotions have been used up and you are now numb. 

This has been my daily state as of late. By the end of the day, (or sometimes by 9:00 a,m,) I can't imagine going on anymore. The day is too hard. The demands too great. The chaos too high. And the pain too much. 

But God is amazing

He's continually showing me that when I am finally drained of myself, He shows up and takes over. His strength truly is made perfect in my weakness. 

"The eyes of the LORD are upon the righteous, and his ears are open unto their cry."
Ps. 34:15

He hears me. But better than that, He takes action and rescues me from the miry clay. He reaches down in the pit and picks me up. 

I find that He does this by presenting His Word to me. Promise after promise shows up and I am reminded once again of all the things I had forgotten. 

He will never leave me, nor forsake me. 
He bears me on eagles wings.
He restoreth my soul.
He is good. 

The funny thing about this Christian life is that once a truth is learned, you don't just know it and move on. It's presented again and again because we are notorious for forgetting. The good, perfect, sweet, and lovely are continually being pushed out of our mind by the bad, wicked, hard, and sad. 

I'm thankful for renewal in spirit every day. Otherwise, this would be too hard to bear. 

I still wonder sometimes, why us? I'm nothing. I'm no super person. Why would you ask such a great task of our family? And then I hear Him whisper, It's not why, but WHO. 


4 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for sharing--when I am tempted to complain about my petty problems and trials, I think of you and your family, and others who are going through some pretty deep waters-- your example is an encouragement to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie, it is so true about how we must learn the truth again and again. It is all grace - the hard, raw, pulling and tugging of God skimming the dross off as it bubbles to the surface under the tremendous heat of our struggles, trials and hurts.

    "It's not why, but WHO." Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julie, I know dark clouds have been hanging overhead for so long, a glimpse of sunshine...thank you for pouring your heart out to people who care, for those of us who feel close to you and your family through prayers and tears. Keep looking up! We have heaven to gain!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julie, thank you once again for sharing. I don't know what to say that others haven't already said over and over so I will just tell you that you are in my heart, thoughts and prayers. Your girls are so lucky that you are their mom. God bless.

    ReplyDelete