Sunday, October 19, 2014

Weapons of mass destruction


It's amazing how little things can do so much damage. Think of termites. Only milometers long, but packed full of trouble. The amount of destruction that a little insect can make is amazing. Thousands of dollars are spent to get rid of these little critters, to replace ruined goods or to repair what has already been damaged. The same is true with the tongue. At least this is true for me, I really don't know about you.
 The book of James has always been one of my favorite books. Maybe it's the writing style that pulls me in. Maybe it's the flow of words that entice me. Or maybe it's because he speaks so much on the tongue and the need to control it. 
"Even so the tongue is a little member, and boasteth great things. Behold, how great a matter a little fire kindleth."
We all know how an unkind word can linger in our hearts for years to come. In fact, I remember when I was six a certain uncle made a comment about me eating too many crackers and to this day I feel the sting. 
I struggle with my tongue. Small it may be, big is the ruination it causes. My words can be used for good to encourage a friend in need, or for bad to tear down my husband in a heated moment.It truly can be like a weapon of mass destruction. When I use my tongue to criticize my husband in front of the kids, not only do I deflate him, I show my girls that he is not worthy of respect and love. 
When I hold back my mouth from speaking a word of encouragement to a friend in need because I simply "don't have time for a phone call", I lose an opportunity to love someone in need of love and the ability to put things into perspective that I am not as busy as I think I am.  
I fully believe God gives us the ability to overcome our tongues, I just haven't submitted fully to the idea yet. It feels good to be mean, yell, snark. But there are two questions to ask myself when I feel the urge: 1. Who am I helping by saying this? 2. Is this truly God honoring? I already know the answer...
I'm not there yet. But I think the fact that I want to be is a start. I prayerfully continue to entreat Him and ask Him to help me. In the mean time, I am so thankful that I have a husband that forgives 70 times 7. And children who see the good in me, despite the bad. 

1 comment:

  1. Julie, I love your writings! You do such a great job of expressing my own inner struggles of this little member kindled of hell called the tongue.

    I am going to share this and by no means have I arrived but I am truly tasting the awesomeness of God in this area (no pun intended). I thank Bro. Paul Miller for simply posting on his Facebook timeline asking if anyone had read a book called, “War of Words.”

    At that time I was willing just as you are willing, actually pretty desperate to do something about it because the fruit of my tongue was not so great that I was seeing.

    I am a word person but I have not had the best choice of words when it comes to speaking with others, especially my own family. And as you described I too let wonderful opportunities of being an encouragement slip by.

    As I have been reading, “War of Words” I made a lot of wonderful discoveries that are helping me so much. And you are right Julie the tongue can be tamed and the only one who can is Almighty God. He does so by getting a hold of our deceitful heart (another amazing miracle if you ask me) abides in us and the results are out of this world.

    I am still in the experimental phase LOL, so I am quite elated with the results I am seeing. And my Lord is already taking me through challenges to solidify my purpose for using the tongue for God’s glory. God has given me a passion unlike one I have ever had before with using my tongue:

    Julie, I so want to grace the lives of people with my words that when they think of what I said they know they have heard Jesus' voice.

    Well needless to say, your blog post has absolutely encouraged me this morning. You are a precious woman of faith. I love you. To God be all the glory.

    ReplyDelete