Saturday, July 4, 2015

Reboot

I am surrounded by computer nerds. That's right, I said computer NERDS. I say that in the spirit of knowing that nerds rule the world. Peter went to college for computer engineering, as did my brother, Jason. My dear friend, Rebekah, a self proclaimed nerd, knows more about RAM and GIGS and who knows what else. She could run circles around me with all her computer babble. 

So it's safe to say that if I ever have a computer issue, I am covered. 

But the one thing that I DO know about computers is that when things are just not working or they are working VERY slow, a reboot can do wonders. A restart seems to shut down all the things that are making the computer work slow and corrects the problem. 

Life at times needs a reboot. And that is just where I am. My brain, emotions, and heart were all crashing. I even could hear "WARNING! WARNING! OVERLOAD!" ringing in my head. 

I have never been a crier. I prefer not to cry in public and even at home, it has always been a rare occurrence. But these days, the tears flow fast and furious. Like the Sunday I sat in Sunday school and cried through the entire lesson. Or when we were standing in line ordering dinner and Peter had to say it was for four. Even simply driving by myself brings on the waterworks. 

I've heard people say that crying actually shows your strength because you are willing to let out your emotion. But I say, in my case, it doesn't feel like strength because I am not CHOOSING to cry. It just happens. It's as natural as passing gas after a cheesy meal. No control. (Molly would have been proud that I just put that in. ;)

Some days, I just need a reboot. I know our bodies naturally do that when we go to bed. But I feel that my reboot needs to involve pulling out the plug, blowing in the outlet, counting to five and trying again. 

The lesson that I am learning is that this thing called grief is going to take much longer than expected. Not that I will ever be done grieving. I know I will never, ever be done. But I mean these raw, open wounds will take longer to close up and begin to scar at a much later date. And you know what, I am beginning to be OK with that. 

I will continue to reboot when necessary, but unlike my laptop, I can't make this better with the click of a bottom. The real answer, time....

So, if you see me crying in the grocery store or walking down the sidwalk, don't ignore me. But please don't pity me. Just acknowledge me and know you did the right thing. And if you add in a joke involving bathroom humor, you might make it much better. :) Again, Molly would have loved it. 

4 comments:

  1. Beautifully written. I got a big lump in my throat about the restaurant, table for 4. These things we take for granted every day, until we don't have that anymore. My heart still breaks for you. I think of your family so often, how you're doing, how you're celebrating holidays, etc. I'm praying for your strength and well being in the difficult days ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your heart, Julie. Your honesty is a blessing to us all. Thank you. I am praying for you and precious family as you go through this heartwrenching time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julie, you are great expressing yourself. It's always a blessing to hear how you are doing. You and the family are still in my prayers. Here is a ((((hug)))) from me. Please have a great day today with your family and think of Molly. I know I will. God bless you and hold you close to himself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julie as you mentioned , its very natural to cry....and grief doesn't go away with the click of the button. But..... it is very natural to cry...because you are a mother, wife and most importantly - 'Human'. Always love to read your blog.

    ReplyDelete